Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Monday 30 September 2013

New chip shop - Pilgrim Street

Following from my post of 5th September 2013 http://novumcastellum.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/new-cafe-bar-for-blue-carpet-square.html , this is another business that I was glad to see the back of: Pizza al Taglio, on the corner of Pilgrim street and Market Street. 

There has been a succession of failed takeaway businesses at this location so don't know if it's in a difficult position for a takeaway (probably not since there are two sandwich shops nearby and a Pizza/kebab shop nearby) or if there were just flawed businesses . Following the demise of O'Brians sandwich shop, there was, I think, a Polish venture called Pierogi. I don't know what they sold, I don't know if it was even Polish; but I do know that in Russian, the word Pirogi means "pies" - and that looks a bit similar to Pierogi. Not a good start to a business if passers by - your potential customers - have to guess what you are offering. 

This cafe/ takeaway - whatever, soon closed.  In its place, a pizza slice takeaway opened. At least it was clear what they were selling even if you couldn't work out what the takeaway was called - they did take the trouble to explain, perhaps condescendingly, how to pronounce the name, by adding a translation to the shop sign (Peets-al-tal-yo). 



OK I found that a bit irritating, but my main problem with the shop was that it was promising authentic Italian pizza experience - freshly prepared, using fresh ingredients to an authentic rustic Italian recipe - what a crock of shit. I did try one- I must admit I was sold on the description and they did look appetising. But, it wasn't fresh or authentic, nor was it fast food. I expected that there would be a proper wood firing oven in which whole pizzas were cooked, ready to be sliced and served up. No, there were no cooking smells in the shop, no heat from the kitchen, in fact, no sense of anything being cooked at all on the premises.  What I got was a precooked slice of pizza which was then put in a microwave or steamer (or something) to warm it up.  Very disappointing, about as authentic as Pizza Hit slices and not as tasty; and certainly not a patch on that other pizza slice company"Fresh Pizza By The Slice" in the Gainger Market: http://graingermarket.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/pizza-that-sells-like-hot-cakes.htmlhttp://www.newcastleeats.co.uk/post/18612079659/review-of-pizza-by-the-slice-grainger-market.

Passing this shop last week, I noticed that there was a new sign above the shop "Town Fry" and a poster in the window announcing that a traditional fish and chip shop will be opening soon.  I'm not sure if there will be enough demand for fish and chips at this location - on a lunchtime at least (I'm sure I might be tempted), but I wish them success in this venture.


No comments:

Post a Comment