Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Wednesday 17 February 2016

The Tube - at the Discovery Museum


I've ran along City Road many times over recent years and have seen the gradual demolition of the Tyne Tees TV studios and Egypt Cottage pub next door, but I have never stopped to take a photo.  So it was with a little regret that I ran passed last week to see most of it gone and a shiny new apartment block has been built on part of the site.  It did get me thinking about the Channel 4 music show Tube TV show from the 1980s as I was trying to work out where the covered entrance would have been (the tube-shaped perspex awning which gave the TV show its name.




Coincidentally, a new exhibition about show The Tube has opened at the Discovery Museum, Blandford Square, Newcastle and runs until 31 March 2016. The Tube was produced by Tyne Tees Television for Channel 4 and ran for five series, from 5 November 1982 to 26 April 1987.

On display at the Discovery museum is a small cabinet containing memorabilia from the show, a 8-minute video presentation, and the famous neon light Tube logo.  It is a small exhibition, but I found it interesting and it is free to get in the Discovery Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment