Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Friday 11 October 2013

New takeaway: Town Fry now open

As mentioned in my earlier post http://novumcastellum.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/new-chip-shop-pilgrim-street.html, the new fish and chip shop on Market Street / Pilgrim street is now open. As well fish and chips, it sells burgers and pizzas.

Last Friday, on its opening day, I was passing the shop and wrestled with the dilemma: hot fish and chips takeaway or the cold pasta with tinned mackerel waiting for me back at the office.  Fish and chips won the day, but when I went into the shop to order something, I didn't know what to get because the menu was displayed temporarily on each of three widescreen TVs above the counter - it appeared on one screen for a short period of time, then was replaced by banner of the shop name - but the menu did not immediately re-appear on one of the other screens.  I waited and waited; but no menu.  No menus on the counter either.  So I left and bought a sarnie from Greggs instead (I left my pasta and mackerel treat for another day).

Sorry Town Fry - the moment had gone.  Fancy electronic displays might be the future, but good old fashioned Point of Sale material is what you really need in a takeaway.

1 comment:

  1. I can't see this place lasting much longer. I've passed here many times - lunchtime and evening, and it never has any customers. I reckon fish and chips is seen as too unhealthy and fattening for health conscious office workers in town, and is too much of a clart-on and greasy for shoppers.

    ReplyDelete