Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Glug glug glug

The Mmmmm deli in the Grainger Market has expanded its premises and is now selling real ale.  A wide range of bottled ales from around the world are stocked, along with wine and unusual cordials (elderflower, rosehip, nettle), in the adjacent premises under the appealing onomatopoeic name of Glug.  http://www.mmm-food.co.uk.  I've only just spotted the new shop, but it has in fact been open since APril/May 2013.




I do love Grainger Market.  One of my earliest memories of Newcastle, that I can date at least, is sitting in this cafe (below) which has recently become a Noodle bar.  It was cup final day 1974 when Newcastle were beaten by Liverpool.


I sat with my mam and looked out of that window over there.  Now that deserves another plaque! (see earlier blog post: David Williams Grainger Street plaque)

No comments:

Post a Comment