Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Wednesday 21 May 2014

The last house in Newcastle to get electricity

The last house in Newcastle to get electricity was probably a house near Brandling Park.  I went out for a run today and headed up towards Jesmond.  I've run through Brandling park many times but I did not realise that this was close to where my great grandmother lived up in the 1970s.   I remember going to her house when I was very young and it was quite scary experience - a dark room shrouded with heavy black curtains.  There was a huge cast iron fireplace range - just like something you would see in the houses at Beamish museum.  

Her house was next to the Royal Grammar School and I remember her giving me a rugby ball which she had confiscated after it had landed in her garden. Also nearby was a Dunlop factory or offices at which my mother used to work.   I couldn't identify the house and I definitely remember this alleyway be in the Terrace.   


No comments:

Post a Comment