Not an entirely random name for a blog, but close. I am not a goat herder - in the usual meaning of that word; nor does the Urban Dictionary definition apply to me either (for a decade at least): an extremely drunk male who having lost all self-respect and standards, loses his powers of discrimination when pulling females. It is said that Gateshead derives its name from a settlement near an early Tyne crossing where goats once roamed. The goats are long gone, but me - I like to roam these parts - or rather run - exploring new places, rediscovering old ones in and around Gateshead and Newcastle when I'm out jogging. This blog is a collection of my photos, thoughts, observations, rants, loves and hates about Newcastle and Gateshead.

Thursday 11 February 2016

Lunchtime Run and Photoshoot


Wednesday was a great day to get out for a run.  It was still a bit chilly, but the skies were blue and the sun was shining.  After the gloom of the prolonged spell of rain, wind, and the damp cold, a little bit of sunshine goes a long way to lift the spirits.  More importantly, it provides that extra incentive to escape the gym and  get out into the open air.  I cannot stand running on treadmills - for me they are like Kryptonite -  I can feel the energy seep out of me almost as soon as I get on, and my stamina falls away to zero.

That's why I love to get outside and Newcastle & Gateshead offer a myriad of running routes which are varied, challenging, interesting and, of course, visually stunning. Unfortunately, it is the visually stunning aspect which often impedes my running progress as I like to stop to take in the views and
occasionally take photos with my phone.

All Saints Church

Starting from the centre of Newcastle, my 5.5 mile route took me across the Tyne Bridge towards Gateshead and heading for the Sage.







At the back of the Sage is a youth music project called CoMusica based in the arches of the railway bridge, which has now become the space for grafitti since the previous ComUsica graffitti wall was demolished (http://tnovumcastellum.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/sir-bobby-graffiti-wall-demolished.html).





Then I dropped down on to Baltic Square to cross back into Newcastle via the Millenium Bridge.

Heading east along the quayside towards the Ouseburn, I decided to mount the wooden staircase to get on to City Road so I could get across town to the Town Moor.



On City Road, I spotted a new apartment development which is being built on the the site of the demolished Tyne Tees TV studios - specifically Studio 5 where they used to film The Tube.  This is now thew site of a shiny new multi-coloured apartment block with a test-card logo.  Next door, they are building more apartments called "Tube Court".  Finally I reached the vast open space of the Town Moor via Brandling and Exhibition Parks before heading back into town.











No comments:

Post a Comment